Friday, September 9, 2011

The Artsy Side of Things

52 Suburbs & a walk around Newtown
So this week we've had the first couple of field trips for our newly formed "modules" in class. I'm in the one called "Un-popular" cultures where we're learning all about some really fun groups like punks, bra boys, rockabillys, bogans, drag kings and drag queens just to name a few.

Our first trip was to the Sydney Museum to the exhibit by a woman named Louise Hawson who started out just taking pictures for a blog she created looking for the "beauty in the 'burbs" and it's turned into a phenomena in Sydney. As the name of the project/exhibit suggests she visited 52 suburbs all around Australia and she posts her pictures in cool diptychs (aka one next to the other) based on similar composition, coloring or just personal taste. Louise actually came and spoke to our class before we saw her exhibit so we got a really personal taste that I enjoyed.
Here are some of my favorite photographs from the museum.

Our next field trip (yesterday) was to the part of town in Sydney they call Newtown its kinda like a hipster meets punk meets rocker meets vintage part of town that is full of some awesome graffiti art. We went to this street called May Lane that is just FULL of amazing pieces. Admit it, our field trips are cooler than yours :)

Last night we went out for a bit and met up with some of our instructors from surf camp. Scubar is this super small like underground dive bar that we tend not to go to but last night was the Surf Camp opening party so it was poppin' and we had a lot of fun!

^bess and one of the "divers" for the party @ Scubar^

Christian and I
This morning I shared in Bess' first acrylic nail experience. I love getting my nails done as y'all well know so it was nice even if it wasn't from Cindy. Miss that woman.
Anyways we ended up with the little nub size barbie nails that I adore.
Mine are hot pink with gold flecks all over (big surprise) and Bess' are blood red and totally femme fatale-esque. Also picked up this book "Air Kisses" from the library here this afternoon and am already halfway finished with it! So cheeky and totally my style. I highly recommend.
We've got a really busy week with school coming up and we're going out clubbing hopefully tomorrow so more soon!
xxx
*I*

1 comment:

  1. Oh hey! Stumbled across your blog when I saw your post in my FB feed... so jealous that you get to study abroad in Australia! I've always wanted to go. Have a blast, & I'll be checking this out to see your awesome adventures. =)

    ReplyDelete