Thursday, September 22, 2011

My Melbourne Weekend: grub, graffiti & new shoes

From Sydney to Melbourne
I know, I know i've been seriously slacking on the blog updates lately but everything has just been a complete whirlwind so cut me some slack please :)
On Sunday our whole program flew to Melbourne (its really only a 1.5 hr flight) as part of our "Australian Culture" class. How awesome is that? We arrived at our hotel called Mantra on the Park, because it looks over the Carlton Gardens/ Park.

^view from our balcony^
As my friend Peter put it, if Toronto, Boston and San Francisco had a love child it would be Melbourne. Its basically the younger more artsy cousin of Sydney with a little more relaxation and a little less pretension. So fab.
After we got settled in our gorgeous apartment (i'm talking nicer than our apt. in Sydney!) and checked out the balcony views of the city we took a walk with our professor Daryl down to the Australian Center for the Moving Image (ACMI) museum. It's right in federation square which borders on the Yarra River.
^the ACMI^

^costume from Moulin Rouge @ ACMI^
We walked through Chinatown on our way back and scoped out all the good restaurants. The rest of Sunday was pretty chill, we ended up at this weird karaoke bar and then this bar masquerading as an internet cafe but Peter, Mara and I decided that Mc Donald's (aka "Mackers") sounded like a better idea and called it a night around midnight.

Monday morning we went on a 4 hr long tour around Melbourne's "laneways" which is basically Aussie for "alley" but apparently even those are more chic here. As you may have already noticed from my pictures there is a TON of graffiti/ street art all around both in Sydney & Melbourne so Pascal (yes, good ole P.Durr) trotted us around and around looking at the different bars, clubs, cafes, stores, murals and artwork of "underground" Melbourne.

^our first laneway adventure^

We ended the outing at this divey bar/ restaurant called Bimbo Deluxe. We got a tram ride experience and $4 pizza so no complaints! Afterwards Bess and I walked around this main drag called Brunswick St. which is chock full of these amazing / weird vintage shops.

For dinner Julian, Greg and I went to this Shanghai dumpling place that was SO great. I got hot & sour soup, 15 dumplings and tea for $10. The food was un.real. That night we went out with our friend Kelly-from London but studying in our program- and her friend (also Kelly, confusing I know) who is studying for the semester at Melbourne Uni and is also fab, her brother Joey who had just arrived that night and her classmate Julian.
--pretty sure every guy we meet here is named Joe or Julian. V. disconcerting--
We went to this bar called Blue Moon and had the most amazing shot with creme de cacao and some other yummy things I don't remember called a "Snickers Bar" which literally tasted like a liquid snickers in my mouth. AMAZEballz.

^the group at Blue Moon^

^the Kellys^
We migrated to this bar/ club called Turf after which was also fun. Some random Aussie guy bought the hoodie that Julian was wearing from him for $50. This country continuously surprises me. All in all it was a fun night out.

Tuesday was our free day so after -finally- getting to sleep in Bess, Alexia and I walked to the Queen Victoria Market and then around Federation Square shopping a little bit.

^standing in front of the Queen Victoria Markets^
I had my heart set on finding a pair of going out heels but it was just not my day even though I snagged a new pair of sunglasses. Bess found a ton of great stuff though including a basket-weave floppy hat (I'm searching for a black felt-ish one), some great tops and 2 pairs of shoes (beyond jelly). Alexia got a great maxi dress in a grey/neutral snakeskin print. Sportsgirl and Dotti are fast becoming my Forever21 Aussie replacement stores. We were so exhausted from the night before that Bess and I walked to this kitchy Italian restaurant for dinner and then for ahhhhmazing gelato for dessert.

Yesterday (Wednesday) we went on the official "Graffiti tour" around the city, so basically I've seen every side street and alley in the entire city. It was long but our professor had some really interesting things to say about the artists and the whole business of doing graffiti that I've never even considered. Mostly it was just pretty to look at.

After the tour we wandered back to "Central Place" for lunch and I had the most amazing chicken schnitzel baguette sandwich that was only $3.50!!!
#winning
We had checked out of our hotel that morning so I ended up sitting with Lisa killing time in Starbucks and found out that she's a total sweetheart. Then with a stroke of luck while on our way back to the hotel we found this shoe store called Novo- having a bogo half off sale- and so obviously I found 2 gorg pairs of heels.
^my new purchases!^
Not as tall as my usual purchases but I figure the strappy-ness/ colorblocking makes up for it. :) Basically I learned that Melbourne is full of food, wine and shopping. Remind me again why I don't live here yea-round?
We headed back to Sydney last night and arrived back at the Apts around 1030pm.
Never been so happy to have my computer in my life ha. Yes, I am addicted to social media, I'm working on it.

Today we had a tour with Daryl of the ABC, same corp. we went to see Q&A at earlier in the month. We got to go into the TV studio sets, hair and makeup, costuming and the radio broadcast studios. It was actually really cool! But it's back to packing, and I haven't even unpacked yet, because tomorrow night we leave for Port Stephens until Sunday night!
Tough life right?
But okay I have pretty much written a novel so props if you got through the whole thing!
More after I return, of course
xxx
*I*

No comments:

Post a Comment